Alice was running short on time when I received my most recent CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) box from Pekarek’s Produce so she decided to see if she could use almost all the produce in just one recipe. Here’s how…
Yummy Yellow Salsa (Print)
- 1/2 medium or 1 small cantaloupe, cut into approximately 1/2 inch chunks
- 3 husked and washed ears of sweet corn with silk removed (pat dry with a clean towel or paper towels)
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Combine all the ingredients except the lime juice.
- Sprinkle the lime juice over the combined ingredients and mix in.
- Refrigerate for about 1 hour before serving to let the flavors meld together.
- If you’ve never eaten jalapeno peppers, go easy on them the first time. You may want to start with just a tablespoon or so, then taste and go from there.
- I still had some cantaloupe, onion and jalepeno peppers left as I was about to leave town. I used these easy directions to freeze the onions and used a somewhat similar method to freeze the peppers. I still had half a melon left; but this fresh-from-the-farm melon was so tasty I simply cut it into wedges and served “as is.”
Recipe created by Alice Henneman, MS, RDN, University of Nebraska–Lincoln Extension Educator. For more recipes and tips for fast, healthy and delicious foods, visit cookitquick.org